|
June 19, 2015
|
||||
|
Star News |
|||||
|
|
|||||
Family seeks answer on missing 34-y-o |
|||||
|
Chad Bryan, Staff Reporter The police are refusing to release any information surrounding the disappearance of a 34-year-old man last October, claiming that any release of information into the case would compromise their investigations. On October 16 last year, men in a blue Toyota Yaris dressed in police fatigues and claiming to be lawmen, entered the yard of Orland Tahji Johnson in Well Lane, Sandy Bay, Hanover, and ordered him into the vehicle. Johnson had just returned from playing football and was talking to friends when he was taken. Regarding the release of any information into the mysterious disappearance of the man, the police told THE STAR that "They do not think it is best to divulge any information at this time". However, the family is in the dark regarding the investigation. According to Johnson's sister, Patrina Palmer, who resides abroad, "the vehicle used to kidnap Tahji was located a few hours later and what appeared to be blood samples were found and collected. Despite this discovery, the samples were never sent off to get DNA results until after we had obtained legal representation." Palmer, and by extension the family, is blaming the police for incompetence and showing no interest in solving the case. "I felt like the police were giving me the run around. I told her (police) that this was the last time she would be hearing from me. So I told her from this day my attorney would speak for me," said Palmer. The attorney for the family, Tom Tavares-Finson, told THE WEEKEND STAR, "What we have done was to contact the relevant INDECOM (Independent Commission of Investigations) office and they have been apparently trying to collect some statements from witnesses and were having some difficulty with it." He added that he has been in touch with INDECOM, which continue to make some identification of the persons involved. Meanwhile, Palmer says that her family is planning a memorial as the anniversary of his disappearance approaches. The family is also offering a US$20,000 ($JD2, 312,200) reward for anyone who comes forward with information that leads to the discovery of Johnson. |
|||||
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us |
|||||