|
December 7, 2012
|
||||
|
Star News |
|||||
|
|||||
No bail for two on fraud rap |
|||||
|
Rasbert Turner, Star Writer A man and a woman, who allegedly made a false statement at the Ministry of Labour and Social Security about their status, were remanded when they appeared in the Spanish Town Resident Magistrate's Court on Tuesday. Those remanded are Raol Ricchiuti, who is from Italy, and Faygan Davis of a St Elizabeth address. When both accused appeared in court, it was revealed that in February they went to the ministry to get an extension on a work permit for Ricchiuti. The representatives were told that both were living together as man and wife and the extension was granted. However, the situation took a turn for the worse when Ricchiuti was arrested and charged for overstaying his time and bigamy. As a result, an investigation was launched and it was revealed that they had been divorced since 2005. Presiding Magistrate Simone Wolfe-Reece told the lawyer something was really wrong with how the matter was dealt with. Therefore, the crown's file had to be completed before the matter could be dealt with. However, attorney-at-law Odaine Nelson told the court his client was not guilty as she was not aware her husband had filed for divorce. He argued that based on this, his client, Davis, should be granted bail. ''There was an absence of knowledge on her part, your honour. She was never served with any documentation and had no knowledge,'' Nelson told the court. The RM told the lawyer that on a previous occasion, the accused Davis had declared to the court that she was the wife of Ricchiuti. Both were remanded until December 10 when the matter will again be mentioned. The matter is being investigated by Detective Constable Ricardo Johnson of the Portmore Police Station. |
|||||
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us |
|||||