Home - The Star
November 5, 2012
Star Sport


 

King walks away


Marlon King - file

Controversial striker Marlon King has called time on his international career with Jamaica's Reggae Boyz, ending hopes that the sharp shooter will play any part in Jamaica's bid for a spot in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

King thanked head of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Captain Horace Burrell and former national coach Carl Brown for their support during an often stormy tenure, but it was perhaps what the striker did not say, which was more instructive.

King made no mention of current coach Theodore Whitmore or assistant coach Alfredo Montesso, who had both said the striker did not feature in their future plans, a declaration, according to his agent, that may have played a key role in his decision.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank Captain Burrell and Carl Brown for their outstanding support during my time with the JFF. They will always have my complete respect," King's statement read.

suspended

According to the players agent Tony Finnegan, the player, who had been suspended from national team duty for two matches after breaking the team's curfew rules following a friendly international against Panama in June, had not been pleased with some of the coaches' proclamations.

"The Brazilian told him that he didn't fit in the plans of the technical team, and for a player that has always scored so many goals at all levels throughout his career, that certainly did not go down too well with Marlon (King)," Finnegan said. "The way in which it was done was also a concern."

No stranger to controversy, King, who has had 14 separate convictions ranging from drunk driving to assault occasioning bodily harm, an offence that landed him an 18-month jail sentence in 2008, also received an 18-month sentence in 2002 for receiving stolen goods.


His problems did not stop there, however, with a string of run-ins with the JFF hierarchy spoiling an international career that boasts an average of one goal every other game.

The striker made his first appearance for Jamaica in 2004 and went on to score 12 goals in national colours - his last appearance coming in a friendly international against Panama earlier this year.

King, whose return to the programme was a major point of focus for the JFF delegation consisting of Burrell, Whitmore and Montesso, thanked the Jamaican public for their support throughout his career.

"It is with the deepest regret that I Marlon King have today decided to retire myself from international football," read the statement sent by Finnegan.

"I would also like to thank the Jamaican public and my fans for their support and wish the squad the very best in achieving World Cup qualification.

"I have always given my all to the Jamaican football team and have some very fond memories of my achievements within the squad."

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us