Home - The Star
March 24, 2012
Star Entertainment


 

Ninja Man granted bail

Fans and well-wishers were elated yesterday when news broke that Ninja Man had been granted bail after being behind bars for three years.

As soon as news broke that he had been granted bail, several persons flooded social networks like Facebook and Twitter. Some posted the stories while others commented.

Dancehall artiste Bounty Killer was one of the first persons to comment on the news on Twitter.

"Veteran dancehall artist Ninja Man was just granted bail in the sum of $2 million plus surety!!! After 3 years...WOW!!! Life goes on Ninja Man we naah wish nutten bad fi nubadi at all," he said.

Lloyd Laing, creator of the Reggae Top 40 Chart, was also ecstatic about the bail.

"Today is a great day for dancehall ... NINJA MAN IS BACK!" he said.

Another person said: "The justice system go luu pon Ninja Man iya."

Some expressed disbelief at the fact that he had been in jail for so long while others made light of the situation.

"Kartel and Ninja Man granted bail ...all on the same day, nuh wonda so much rain a fall," one person said.

Yesterday, Ninja Man and his son, Janiel Ballentine, were granted bail in the Home Circuit Court. They had been in custody for three years awaiting trial on a murder charge.

Ninja Man and his son, along with Dennis Clayton and Seymour Samuels, who were granted bail some time ago, are to return to the Home Circuit Court on July 16 when their trial will begin.

Yesterday, their lawyers Valerie Neita Robertson and Linton Walters complained that persons were actually serving sentences before bail applications were made or before trial dates were set.

Neita Robertson said she was extremely concerned about the latitude which the Bench gave to the prosecution in regards to trial dates and adjournments. She pointed out that accused persons had to wait two to three months before dates were set for bail applications and that was in breach of the constitution and the Bail Act.

Ninja Man, whose real name is Desmond Ballentine, and his son had been in custody since March 2009.

A trial date has been set for July 16 in the Home Circuit Court.

They are charged with the murder of Richard Johnson who was shot dead in his yard on March 16, 2009.

Supreme Court Judge Christine McDonald granted Ninja Man and his son bail in the sum of $2 million each with three sureties. They have been placed under curfew.

Ninja Man is to report to the Oracabessa police station, St Mary, every day except on Sundays. Janiel is also to report to the Half-Way Tree police station six times each week.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us