|
March 7, 2012
|
||||
|
Star Sport |
|||||
|
|||||
Cricket officials step down in Guyana |
|||||
|
GEORGETOWN, Guyana (CMC): More turmoil engulfed cricket yesterday when the entire executive committee of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) resigned, just a week after President Ramsay Ali also stepped down. In a letter to Sports Minister Frank Anthony - a copy of which was obtained by CMC Sports - the executive committee said it had been put under severe pressure in recent weeks because of the impasse with the government-run Interim Management Committee and could no longer continue. "We have been subjected to tremendous stress over the past weeks due to unrelenting state-sponsored court proceedings, searches and arrests. The threat of similar action has now been extended to include our constituent members' executives," the letter said. "Under duress we managed to outfit and send our teams to WICB tournaments, but a recent court injunction prevents us from performing any function. "Nevertheless, as you requested, we have delayed this resignation until we were satisfied that all was done to ensure our team continues to participate in the regional four-day competition." The executive committee had been in place for less than a year, following elections last July. However, it said it had worked tirelessly to put the GCB in good standing and had left the organisation on sound footing. "We are satisfied that, as executives of the GCB, we have always performed our functions professionally, honestly and diligently for the upliftment of this glorious game," the letter continued. "The Guyana Cricket Board is presently in the best financial position it has ever been in its history, with US$400,000 in its bank account, even though we undertook many investment projects, e.g., hostels, training facilities, etc. "The annual audit report for 2011 is almost completed and would be forwarded to your office shortly, by our Auditor Barcellos, Narine & Co." Since elections last year, Guyana's cricket has lurched from crisis to another, resulting in the Interim Management Committee's takeover of administration of the game. Only last week, Ali resigned after his office and residence, and those of some other executive members, were searched by court officials. |
|||||
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us |
|||||