Home - The Star
January 12, 2012
Star Sport


 

Indoor season a no-no for Bolt

Bolt

Asafa Powell's return to the indoor track and field circuit after an eight-year hiatus has raised the interest level around the winter track session, but his countryman Usain Bolt has poured cold water, very cold water, on the possibility of him attempting an indoor season anytime soon.

Bolt, a double Olympic champion and world-record holder, says that he has never as much as considered an indoor season, citing the difficulties he would encounter given his large frame as well as his widely accepted perception that his first 50m is the worst part of his race.

"I have never even considered an indoor season to be honest," Bolt said. "I am way too tall for that to work out for me."

"Also, for me, running the 60m wouldn't work out either, I am more of a 100m person, the last part is the best part of my race, so that is definitely not for me. Even if I try to run 60m, It would end before I even start because that's when I really get going," Bolt laughed.

Turning his attention to the upcoming season, Bolt the world 200m champion, says he has learnt from his mistakes last year and is certain that his experiences, particularly his disqualification from the 100m final at the IAAF World Championships in Daegu for a false start, will help him in his endeavours this season.

"I have learned from last year and that will really help me this season. I wasn't myself but this season I am ready and happy and I am just doing me, enjoying it and giving it my best. So I am feeling great and I am looking forward to the season to get started," said Bolt before dismissing any suggestion that he will be under immense pressure in London to reproduce the performance which saw him mine two individual gold medals in world-record time before helping Jamaica to a 4x100m gold, also in world-record time.

"I am never pressured, the key thing for me is always fitness," said Bolt. "Once I am fit, I am ready. I work hard and go out there and give it my all, I am never worried about anyone or anything. As long as I am fit, there is no pressure."

Bolt, who will once again open his season at the Camperdown Classic on February 11 before continuing on the local circuit at the Gibson Relays (February 25) and the UWI Invitational on March 17, has also been confirmed for the Oslo Diamond League meet on June 7 where he will compete in the 100m.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us