Home - The Star
June 22, 2011
Star Sport


 

Hands of Gold a success
Leighton Levy, Star Writer


Jamaica's Nicholas Walters hits Mexico's Argel Salina with a right hook during Thursday night's fight. - Winston Sill

Another major boxing event is set to be staged in Jamaica soon. This comes on the heels of the successful Hands of Gold promotion at the Karl Hendrickson Auditorium at Jamaica College (JC) last week. Miami-based fight promoter Richard Kliibler tells Star Sports plans are under way for the next event to be held in late July or early August.

Last week Thursday night's event that featured the WBA Fedelatin title fight between Nicolas 'Axeman' Walters and Mexico's Argel Salinas has resonated well with Kliibler. Walters retained his title by knocking out Salinas in the second round. They were also impressive wins by Sakima Mullings and Jamaica's middleweight champion Rikardo Smith.

best in his weight class

"I couldn't be happier with our inaugural Hands of Gold series event this past Thursday evening," Kliibler said. "Nicholas did what was expected as one the best in his weight class in the entire world. He came in with all of the swagger of a champion with his belt on the line and took care of business. It was a great night for Jamaican boxers present and future with outstanding performances across the board."

On a night of memorable performances, Kliibler, who represents the Miami-based Levy Advertising and Promotions, said Mullings provided the highlight.

"I would have to say the most memorable moment and fight of the night was when Sakima Mullings stepped into the ring Thursday night at the JC auditorium. He was fighting a bigger man that on paper was the favourite to take back the zonal title to Guyana. He rocked Pompey early in the 5th with a hook and followed up with a second hook that not only ended the fight but had Pompey knocked completely unconscious held up only by the ropes," he said.

The buzz created by the successful staging of the event is already reverberating internationally, he said, which augurs well for the future of the sport in Jamaica. Within the first two days after fight night there has been a flood of interest. "My phone hasn't stopped ringing. I've literally been inundated with calls from other promoters, managers, and sanctioning bodies with congratulations and a desire to get on board with the series," he revealed.

"I see only positive things coming from the associations that we are building between my company, the JBBC, the talented up and comers like Mullings and Smith and all of the yet to surface talented young Jamaican fighters that are watching the sport that for far too long was on life support, rise again to the forefront of the international boxing scene."

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us