Home - The Star
May 5, 2011
Star News


 

US man overstays visit

An American man who came to Jamaica in 1999 initially for six months, but had not left the island since then, was remanded when he appeared in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court yesterday.

Ranoy Conney, 45, a gym instructor Baltimore, Maryland, USA, has been charged with overstaying and illegal entry.

Conney was fined $5,000 and his illegal entry charge withdrawn.

Allegations are that the accused had landed for six months as a visitor using his birth certificate and driver's licence. He, however, said his documents were stolen and destroyed.

It is further alleged that he was picked up by the police and brought to the Immigration Investigative office. He was identified as an American national and explained that he arrived in Jamaica sometime in 1999 or 2000. However, he failed to prove how, when and where he arrived in the country.

There was no information on the Immigration system but the accused claimed they did not use computers at the time but could not explain why he stayed longer than the six months.

The accused said, "Your Honour, from the time I have been here I never caused any problems and never did anything bad."

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us