Home - The Star
February 10, 2011
Star Sport


 

Long-awaited NBL set for tip-off
Robert Bailey, Star Writer


Sharon Roper (right), director of marketing at Flow, throws up a basketball while JaBA's president Ajani Williams looks on during the press launch of the National Basketball League at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston yesterday.

After a lengthy delay, the National Basketball League (NBL) is expected to get under way after garnering a $27- million sponsorship package from telecommunications providers Flow.

Ajani Williams, president of the Jamaica Basketball Association (JaBA), said he was very delighted for the sponsorships and support from corporate Jamaica in helping with the development of basketball across the country.

"We are pleased that Flow has decided to continue their support of basketball in Jamaica. Their involvement will surely change the structure of basketball in this country, as well as to stabilise the league as we move forward to a more professional set-up," said Williams.

"This is wonderful because we are now in the class of football, and thanks to Flow, Burger King and Malta, we are in a unique class of sports because we are one of the few sports properties to garner this type of sponsorship," he explained.

Sports Minister Olivia 'Babsy' Grange expressed gratitude to the sponsors for their contribution.

"I am very happy that the support is there from the sponsors and I am glad that Burger King is back on board, and that Flow has increased its support for basketball," said Grange.

fastest-growing sport

"It is the fastest-growing sport in Jamaica and it is a sport that has penetrated communities islandwide, and the support that is now given by the sponsors will help in terms of social-intervention programmes in communities and will strengthen basketball and, of course, JaBA will benefit from all of this," Grange added.

Each participating team will receive $65,000, which will go towards their travelling expenses and other needs. The winners of the competition will receive $500,000, while the runners-up will collect $250,000 and the third-place team $150,000. Fourth will earn $100,000.

"This is one of the biggest sponsorships ever because these are dreams that have been realised, but this is not the end of the dream, this is about execution, and if we don't execute it, we could lose some of this value," Williams pointed out.

The league, which should have started from August last year, is set to tip off on Sunday with newcomers Waterhouse opposing Swift Sons, while the second game will be a repeat of last year's final between defending champions Tivoli Gardens All Stars and Majesty Gardens.

Twenty-seven teams are down to take part in this year's competition, playing in four conferences. Twelve will compete in Southern Conference, while five each will take part in the Central, Eastern and Western conferences.

The competition, which will run for four months, will see matches being played at six venues across the island - National Stadium courts, University of Technology, Manchester High School, Montego Bay Cricket Club, Folly Oval in Portland and the Morant Bay court by the sea.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us