Home - The Star
January 11, 2011
Star News


 

Illegal electrical connections disconnected

( L - R ) Armond, Jason McKay - File

MORE than a hundred illegal electrical connections to the Caymanas Park racetrack were on Friday disconnected by the security arm of Caymanas Track Limited (CTL), who were assisted by police from the St Catherine South Division.

The illegal connections originated mainly from informal settlements in the adjoining Gregory Park community.

The operation affected houses in proximity to the racetrack, which had illegal connections at various points including the Gregory Park entrance to the vast compound and other locations.

Led by resident security consultant, Jason McKay, the operation lasted for four hours and resulted in the recovery of hundreds of feet of electrical wiring.

In addition to being a possible fire hazard, CTL's acting CEO and director of marketing, Christopher Armond, said the effect of the illegal connections on the racing plant's electricity bill was incalculable. "We don't have any idea what the cost is, but there must be a cost to it," he said. "We run a business and it can't continue like that," he added.

Angry residents affected by the operation claimed they had to resort to stealing electricity from the racing plant because they did not have titles for their properties in order to meet JPS' metering requirements.

In previous years, such operations were standard at the racetrack. However, last year the illegal connections became rife.

During Friday's operation, residents complained that they were left in darkness, likening the disconnections to 2009 when the raids were carried out almost weekly by the police, McKay and the CTL security team.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us